COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus, which is thought to be spread through person-to-person contact. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough and shortness of breath. The virus is thought to spread via droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or among people who are in close contact with one another.
COVID-19 has reached the Bay Area and the disease has been detected in Hillsborough County. Because of this, the Governor has issued a public health emergency. The City of Temple Terrace is monitoring the situation and will continue to maintain discussion and direction from our Medical Director, Hillsborough County Emergency Management, as well as the State of Florida and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Everyone should adhere to everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing (If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.)
For more information about the causes, symptoms and treatment of the virus as well as the latest updates, go to the CDC website. Information and updates from the Florida Department of Health regarding COVID-19 also are available online. Local news about the virus and any actions being taken in Hillsborough County are available on the County’s website.
COVID-19, an Open Letter from the Vice Mayor – On March 13, Andrew "Andy" Ross, Vice Mayor of Temple Terrace published an open letter to the community explaining steps and precautions the city is taking to help protect the community from the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
The Vice Mayor writes, in part:
"While there is no reason for fear or panic, health officials and governments at all levels are taking proactive and measured precautions to address the disease and prevent its spread. The City Manager and I have been deeply involved with leaders from Hillsborough County and the other municipalities to develop a coordinated response to this threat. I would like to share with you the results of those efforts and let you know what actions your city leadership is taking. Read the full letter.