Mayor's Youth Leadership Council
THE INAUGURAL 2018-2019 COUNCIL
- Ashley Birdsong, a Junior at King High School
- Aaron Bradford, a Sophomore at King High School
- Caleb Colton, a Sophomore at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High
- Sam Estes, a Junior at King High School
- Ethan Fleming, a Sophomore at King High School
- Dean Kooper, a Junior at Seffner Christian Academy
- Karsten McClard, a Freshman at Middleton High School
- Mahree Medero, a Junior at King High School
- Stephanie Mohler, a Junior at King High School
- Yajamj Raines-Cantero, a Junior at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High
- Haley Terry, a Sophomore at Seffner Christian Academy
- Sydnee Vance, a Junior at King High School
- Gabrielle Wiggins, a Sophomore at King High School
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Twenty-six students from six high schools including Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate, C. Leon King, Paul R. Wharton, Tampa Catholic, Middleton and Seffner Christian Academy who will be in grades 10 through 12 in the upcoming school year applied to be a part of the inaugural class. All interested students were interviewed by City of Temple Terrace Mayor Jurado, Public Information Officer Greg Pauley and Marketing and Communications Officer Laurie Hayes in April.
In addition to the interviews, applicants were judged on coursework and grades, extracurricular activities, personal essays and reference recommendations. Mayor Jurado stressed that all of the candidates exhibited outstanding academic and leadership capabilities.
Learn, Grow, Lead!
Are you ready to be Amazing?
|By choosing to sponsor this amazing youth program, you will be a key part in nurturing future leaders. The Mayor’s goal is to utilize your sponsorship investment to ensure quality experiences and superb training for the teenagers selected to participate.|
Bronze Level Sponsor:
The Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council provides Temple Terrace area high school students in grades 9-12 with an opportunity to participate in civic, leadership and community service programs to develop leadership abilities and inspire a commitment to community service and lifelong civic responsibility.
- Members will have opportunities to serve as a City Ambassador at various functions.
- Members will learn through Leadership 101 quarterly development sessions focused on principles of leadership, interpersonal skill building, public speaking, business etiquette, etc.
- Members will participate in a Community Service Impact Project – as a group, the Leadership Council will select volunteer opportunities within the community.
- Members will have the opportunity to research and discuss issues of concern to members of the Youth Leadership Council
- Members will promote action items to effect change.
- Members will earn service hours that can be applied to scholarship applications.
- Current high school students in grades 9-12 who live in or are connected to the Temple Terrace community.
- Commit to one year of leadership service on the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council.
- Possess a minimum 2.0 G.P.A.
- Possess a strong desire to impact our community and beyond for good.
- Possess a desire to learn more about City government.
- Available to meet at least once a month.
- Complete the application online at www.templeterrace.com or fill out a paper copy.
- Submit two references, which can include: community leaders, advisors, school faculty or principals, organizational leaders, coaches or club sponsors.
- Have your parent or guardian sign the application.
- Submit the application via email to Laurie Hayes (lhayes@TempleTerrace.com) or mail to: Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council Application, 11250 N. 56th Street, Temple Terrace, Florida 33617, Attention: Laurie Hayes.
- Application Period: This year's application period has ended. Next application period will be begin January 2019.
- Application Review & Applicant Interviews: March-April 2018
- Youth Leadership Council for 2018-2019 Announced: May 2018
- Program Kick Off: August 2018
- The program follows the school calendar (August through June, with a final July special event.)
For more information, please contact Laurie Hayes at 813.506.6406 or email email@example.com